Tuesday, November 4, 2014

High tea at The Cape Grace


I enjoyed a wonderful high tea at The Cape Grace this weekend. My initial visit to this establishment was when I tried out their renowned whiskey bar Bascule earlier this year which is THE place to take anyone that loves whiskey.


The Cape Grace hosts their high tea in their beautiful library room with this amazing view...

Not too shabby hey ...

Sorry for the bad light but how relaxing does this window seat look!

The Library room


I loved the atmosphere at The Cape Grace and could have stayed at that window seat for hours. It was very relaxing after a hectic few months I've recently experienced. Next time I think I will stay till there until dinner time :)
 
I can confidently say that the 'eats' were just as sweet as the view. Now initially I was a bit hesitant as The Cape Grace offer their high tea on a tiered stand and you don't have free reign to a sweet treat buffet as at other Cape Town high teas. Sorry I must sound greedy, but I'm a cake addict! Luckily what they serve delivers 100% and was more than enough shared between two.
 
The classic high tea is R185 pp and comes with unlimited tea and coffee as well as the following three tiered stand

I could not wait to start tasting...


Yummy!
 
  • Tier 1
    • Plain and mustard seed scones served with jam, cheese, lemon curd and cream.
      • The scones were delicious and light. I especially enjoyed the mustard seed scones!
  • Tier 2
    • A selection of cucumber, salmon and egg mayonnaise sandwiches.
      • This was the tier I was least impressed with. The salmon sandwiches were to die for but the others were not mind blowing and the bread was a dried out so I think they were made very early in the morning. Hopefully not the previous night!
  • Tier 3
    • Pistachio and salted caramel macaroons
      • The salted caramel macaroon was the clear winner. It definitely ranks as one of my top 5 macaroons I've tasted.
    • White chocolate and berry cheesecake
      •  Smooth, creamy and the sweet white chocolate paired perfectly with the sour berries.
    • Passion fruit and white chocolate tart on a Ferrero Rocher base
      • This was my favourite dessert of the afternoon! The combination of the above elements clearly tells you why! I did not want that Ferrero Rocher base to end!
    • Cream filled choux bun
      • The choux pastry was above standard! Very nice!
    • A plain vanilla type of cake
      • This was my least favourite item of the day. Dry and unimaginative. We did not really eat it.
 
I enjoyed a pot of chamomile as well as earl grey blue flower tea  and will recommend both of them. Start with the chamomile tea as it helps to balance out the sweetness of the high tea initially. The tea is served in the famous Nigro teapot. A high tea does not feel the same to me if these pots are not present :)

Relaxing and enjoying the view


My favourite tea pot!
 
If you want to add a glass of sparkling wine to your high tea it will cost your R255pp. If you're not in the mood for the full blown high tea you can come and enjoy a slice of home-made cake for R50. The Library Room is really beautiful and you would still have a lovely and relaxing time.They had chocolate and carrot cake when we visited and it looked decadent and delicious!
 
Service was excellent and we felt very welcome during our high tea! I would highly recommend them as well as rate them as one of the most 'valuable' high teas in Cape Town.
 
For more information visit their website
Contact them at 021 410 7100 or signal@capegrace.com
Tweet them @CapeGrace
Like them on Facebook
 
My Top 3 High teas in Cape Town
I am very excited to announce that next year I will be able to report back on the high tea at The Oyster Box Hotel as I am heading there for a quick holiday after my final year medicine exams! I hear it's legendary! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment