Tuesday, November 18, 2014

On 19 at The Westin

One of the restaurants at The Westin Cape Town was recently revamped and relaunched. The Executive Club Restaurant was given a R1,1 million face-lift and also renamed to On 19. The boyfriend took me there for a belated birthday dinner and post-exam celebration.
Newly revamped On 19

I was really excited as I knew absolutely nothing about the restaurant. As the name states it is situated on the 19th floor. The view is amazing and the whole restaurant is surrounded by glass windows giving you a view of Table Mountain, Cape Town harbour, Cape Town Stadium and Signal Hill. It was cool to see the sun set and watch Cape Town come to life to enjoy their Friday evening.

Awesome view

City preparing for Friday evening


We arrived early as we wanted to enjoy the view and watch the sun set. I started my evening with a berry daiquiri(R45). It was really disappointing. It was warm and tasted like an artificial smoothie. It was as if they did not make it with ice. I did not finish it. Cocktails range between R45-R90 and the majority of your classic cocktails are on offer.  The boyfriend enjoyed a Devils Peak brewery first light golden ale.

The drinks

Part of their relaunch is that you can enjoy a two course for R260 or a three course for R300. Initially we decided to enjoy a two course meal.


For starters I tried the ramen noodles(R80). I've not had a dish like this before and wanted to try it as I know that the creators of Lefty's has opened Cape Town's first Ramen Noodle Bar a few months ago. This dish is a Japanese noodle soup dish consisting of wheat based noodles in a meat or fish broth flavoured with soy sauce or miso. I chose the charisa pork, grilled octopus, chicken with scallion, shitake mushroom and red cabbage combination. This was a very meaty dish and can be enjoyed as a main meal. To me the dish lacked flavour. As I ve never had a dish like this before I can't really compare it to what it should taste like but it needed something extra for me.

The Ramen noodles

The boyfriend had the lamb and goats cheese fritters(R80) served with red pepper humus, grilled corn and a cumcumber and tomato salsa. This was delicious and the dipping sauces were so good I wanted to eat them solo!

Lamb fritters

For mains I had the age beef fillet with cauliflower mash, biltong confit onion and choron sauce(R195). The beef was tender and cooked to my liking. The cauliflower mash was also something I've never had but 'banting' friends told me about it and I also enjoyed it. All the components of the dish worked well together and there was a smokiness to the dish that really paired well with my glass of Blaauwklippen cabernet sauvignon.

Beef fillet

The boyfriend chose the wagyu beef, turkey bacon, brown mushroom and cheddar cheese burger (R120) served with battered onion rings, thick cut fries and one of the BEST home-made tomato sauces I have ever had. One thing that stood out for me at On 19 was that their sauces and salsas were very good. The burger I would definitely recommend.

Wagyu burger

Initially we decided to do a two course meal. In the end the boyfriend chose dishes that were less than R260. They still charged him for a two course meal which I feel was unfair. We however did not say anything because we were not in the mood for a confrontation.

The highlight of our evening was our waitress Lizzy. She was kind, attentive and very welcoming. We really enjoyed her!


I personally feel that the 'hotel restaurant feeling' is still there and that something has to be done to create some ambiance. It seemed as if the majority of the guests were foreigners and guests of the hotel. They can maybe put real candles on the tables and play some cool background music. They just need something extra to warrant what they charge for their dishes.

On 19

The food is nice and the view is great but they did not tick every box to my liking so I can't splurge like that again for a meal. My tip would be to visit them for a drink and a snack and if you like what you see then do enjoy a meal there.


For more information visit their website
Visit them at Lower Long Street, Convention square, Cape Town
Contact them at 021 412 9050
Tweet them @WestinCPT
Like them on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment