Monday, November 17, 2014

Eat Out Mercedes Benz Restaurant Awards

So last night the Eat Out Magazine announced the Top 10 restaurants in South-Africa. I have not refreshed my twitter account this much since The Oscar Trial. The top restaurant is The Test Kitchen which is no surprise at all. The rest of the Top 10 has some old favourites and a few newcomers. I must say I was surprised that one of my favourites, Waterkloof restaurant, did not place at all. I hope they do better next year as dining there truly is an unbelievable experience.

Here are the winners

The Top 10

1) The Test Kitchen (Cape Town) - I dined here this year and they truly deserve their number one position. They have no cap on their popularity and I would advise you to book your place there for the coming year as I predict that booking a spot will be more difficult than ever! (2013 #1)
2) Five Hundred (Johannesburg) was also #2 last year
3) The tasting room at Le Quartier Francais (Franschoek) who also won the award for the best service. They were #9 in 2013.
4) Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient (Pretoria) who's chef, Chantell Dartnall, won the best chef of the year award.
5) Jordan (Stellenbosch) - I also had the privilege to be wowed by Chef Jardine this year and I still dream about the poppy seed soufflĂ© I had there! Congratulations for moving up 1 from last year.
6) Overture (Stellenbosch) - I have only enjoyed wine tasting here but friends have only given positive feedback about this great restaurant. It has been added to the to do list for next year! (2013 #7)
7) Rust en Vrede (Stellenbosch) was #3 last year.
8) DW Eleven 13 (Johannesburg)
9) The Restaurant at Newton Johnson (Hermanus) - Since my family home is in Hermanus I don't think I have an excuse not to go and visit them this December holiday :)
10) Terrior (Stellenbosch) made a return this year after not being on the Top 10 last year


Other awards
 
Style award:  Equus dine at Cavalli who is a personal favourite of mine.
Best Asian restaurant: Kyoto Garden Sushi
Best Italian: La Sosta
Best everyday: Chefs Warehouse was also a fave of this year and my current recommendation for 'date night'
Best Country style: Cafe Bloom
 
Congratulations to all the winners and since I've only done two of the Top 10 I better start saving to to prepare for my culinary quest of the Top 10 next year :)

How many of the top 10 have you done and who was your favourite??

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment