Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Chefs warehouse

I spotted Chefs Warehouse on one of my foodie friends' Facebook. Something that always gets my attention is a restaurant where you can share food, as it's more social,  and don't experience just one or two flavours. So I gathered a few friends and we payed them a visit.




Situated in the trendy Bree street, 50 meters from fellow tapas bar La Parada, Chefs warehouse is owned by Irish chef Liam Tomlin. He was also one of the judges for the recent Eat Out awards.
Chefs Warehouse is part tapas bar and part deli where you can buy top of the range kitchen equipment and produce.


 

Seating is limited and they therefore don't do any reservation. The tables are narrow and this would bother some but as you are not there for a full on dining experience I don't think it would bother you. I will definitely revisit them in the summer when you can sit outside, enjoy their food and soak up the Bree street vibe.


 
 
The menu changes often and you have the choice between fixed deli meals, tapas for two(R280) as well as some desserts.

We decided to share the 'tapas for two' between four. It was enough to satisfy each of us but if shared between two, it will definitely be consistent with a full meal.

On our tapas platter we had the following (going clockwise on the photo)


  • Sweet bread
    • I had no idea what this was last night but we loved it. It tasted like sweet and sour pork. I did some research now and sweet bread is actually glandular tissue that is soaked in water and then poached in milk to remove the outer membranes and then it's breaded and fried. Now by glandular tissue I mean thymus, pancreas or even parotid gland of a cow or pig. If I knew this beforehand I probably would not have eaten it but it really was delicious and I will order it again.
  • Ricepaper wrap
    • This was just nice. First time I had a ricepaper wrap and will eat it again the future.
  • Crunchy calamari
    • Seasoned well and I loved the pairing with the tangy pineapple.
  • Seared steak served with nectarines
    • This was my favourite dish. I love the freshness the fruit gives the protein, as above with the calamari.
  • Jelly cubes served with beetroot (can't remember this one exactly)
    • The one dish that did not leave a lasting impression.
  • Mushroom risotto
    • One of my faves. They give Societi Bistro's risotto a good run for it's money. It was creamy and the mushrooms were true stars in the dish. Their flavour were not lost within the creamy goodness.
  • Fish curry
    • The coconut broth the fish is served in was delicious and I could easily eat an entire bowl of this.
  • Tuna tartar (in the middle)
    • Another winner!
Wine is sold by the glass and bottle. Bargain at about R40-R50 on average per glass. The menu is set out with categories such as 'easy drinking' red wine so even if you are no wine connoisseur you will find a glass of wine that you can enjoy.

We loved our dining experience and this is a place for a cosy date or a small group of friends to catch up.

Open
  • Lunch 12:00-15:00
  • Tapas 16:00-20:00
  • Saturday tapas 12:00-14:30
Visit them at 92 Bree Street, Cape Town
Contact them at 021 422 0128 or info@chefswarehouse.co.za
Their website shows the changing menu, however it seems they are lagging behind a bit for this month.


We ended off our evening with  milkshakes at the Fire and Ice Protea Hotel. They are currently renovating so they are hosting in one of their event halls. I must say I was a bit disappointed with the dirty bathrooms as well as the slow service. The milkshakes(R55) were top notch as always. We tried the Lindt, Oreo, Ferro Rocher and Brownie flavour. The Lindt was the clear favourite!

Milkshake pints!
The Lindt winner
Find them at 200 Bree street, Cape town

No comments:

Post a Comment