Thursday, June 20, 2013

Tamboerswinkel

 
I visited Tamboerswinkel for a late lunch when my mother came to visit me a few weeks ago. This was one of the places that have been on my “must visit list” for a while now. An "Afrikaans" place in the middle of Cape Town can only be refreshing!
The place was smaller than what I imagined but very cosy. Also a bit more subdued than what I expected but I do know that they host wine tasting events on Wednesday nights which I am sure will rock the boat a bit :)  Check out their Facebook for more information regarding this as well as what cellars will visit them the particular night.
The walls are covered with shelves that stock preservers and wine. They stock wine from Spookfontein and Creation who are wine farms from the area I come from. A glass of Spookfontein red has been a great unwinding activity post-test!
A great range of wines to choose from!

It was still a bit early to enjoy a glass of wine, as I still had to endure a movie with my mom later that evening and she giggles after 3 sips, so we opted to enjoy some delicious home-made berry ice tea! A must try if you visit them! The glass was filled with fresh berries - treat!
Join them for breakfast or lunch!

The camembert, bresaola and figs sandwich(R39) immediately caught my eye. Camembret and figs are a combination that will still be nice even if you put it on a stale piece of bread! Lucky for me my sandwich was fresh and delicious. My mom chose the  cauliflower, bacon and vanilla soup (R40+-). Silently I thought “age nee now I am going to have to share my sandwich with my her as how can that combination be nice!”. I was blown away. The sweet and salty flavours balanced each other out perfectly. It can probably be seen in the same light as French toast? They are not skimpy with the portions and everything is prepared freshly in front of your eyes.
They make sure the sandwiches are dead before they serve them to you!
 
We waited a while for our food to arrive but I can attribute this to the fact that they don't grab a pre-made sandwich out of a fridge and dish it on a plate. The bread is sliced in front of you and the soup is warmed up on the stove. It actually brings a nice homely feeling to the deli.
The table next to us enjoyed a hearty portion of the chicken, lentil and butternut lasagne. I hope that this will still be on the blackboard when I visit again as it looked delicious!
Tamboerswinkel is well priced and you will receive what you pay for.
For a honest, homey and hearty experience visit Tamboerswinkel!
 
Visit them at 3 De Lorentz street, Cape Town
Open Monday-Friday 08:00-18:00 & Saturday-Sunday 09:00-16:00
Follow them on twitter @TamboersWinkel
Contact them 021 424 0521 or theo@tamboerswinkel.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment