Sunday, June 2, 2013

Bon Amis at Bloemendal


For dessert I am always on the quest to find the best chocolate fondant. The current one must always top the previous find. For breakfast I am always on the hunt for the yummiest french toast.

I just finished an early test and breakfast was my main concern. Joined by my friend aka best hospital clinical partner we decided to take a drive to find a breakfast spot in the Durbanville Hills.

 
We stopped at Bon Amis. It's a well known café and  deli in the area. Bon Amis in French translates to good friends and this is definitely  a spot to come and enjoy with your loved ones.
 Now to be honest I have stopped here before. It was a Sunday afternoon and the boyfriend and I were on a late afternoon dessert quest. As we opened the door an elderly man was on his guitar providing some entertainment and unfortunately this did not excite me, so we drove on.
 
Luckily I can now say that even if the guitar guy is outside  the café again, I will not drive away as our breakfast was delicious and I found a great contender in my French toast quest.


The presentations of the dishes were great as they don’t use you standard, white 'run-of-mill' plates. It provides a more sophisticated feel to your meal.
 
Two large pieces of french toast (R55) with crisp bacon, cinnamon sugar and syrup were thoroughly enjoyed by us. For extra cheese they charged as R15 which I thought was a bit steep. Restaurants always do that with extra cheese?? Other breakfast option are the Bloemendal eggs benedict(R75), four egg omelette with wild mushrooms, blue cheese, onion confit and basil(R60) or corn and thyme fritter with fresh avocado, ostrich sausage and tomato chili jam(R60). Muffins and croissants are between R25-35.

 
The restaurant has a great patio which can be enjoyed during warmer days. I still want to visit again to enjoy some wine and platters when the weather improves. I can see some great social gatherings here in the future. Their lunch and dinner menu's feature salads(R75-R85), pasta(R65), burgers(R85-R105), seafood, steak and more.
Inside the restaurant is decorated in neutral colours with beautiful wooden tables decorated with striped runners, material napkins and mini cactuses.

The café has a great clean cut look to it.

We visited early so the café was not bustling yet.
 
 
Service was okay. Our waitress had a bit of an attitude and got irritated with us because we did not move stuff quickly enough when she brought our plates over. The food was good enough that this did not really contribute to our experience. I am convinced that this particular waitress is just a sour grape in the bunch.

 

On Saturdays and Sundays they serve breakfast buffets only. The flatmate has been to that and said that it was very nice. For R110 you receive the hot buffet, R95 the continental buffet and for R165 you receive both.


Located at Bloememdal wine estate on the M13, Tygerberg Valley road, Durbanville
Visit them
  •  Tuesday - Thursday 09:00 - 17:00
  • Friday - Saturday 09:00 - 21:00
  • Sunday 09:00 - 17:00
Like them on Facebook
Visit their website
Contact them at 0219762682

 
p.s don't forget to enter my competition here that closes this Friday :) I had some of the cocktails again this weekend and they were delicious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment