Monday, January 21, 2013

Carne-SA


 
Carne was announced the best steakhouse in South-Africa by Eat Out. I went with my family as we were celebrating the moving into my new flat and my father’s upcoming birthday. This truly was a meat-paradise.

The Chef at Carne is Italian Giorgio Nava. Italian influences are visible in most of his dishes.

The space is very clean-cut with a construction-type feel mixed with some modern décor elements.
 

On our arrival we were treated to complimentary miniature meatballs. My father decided to eat mine as well and they gladly treated us with another one.

The service at Carne is excellent. The waiters are well informed and very social but not too such extent that they irritate you.

At Carne before you order the waiter will bring out a large platter of all the raw meats and the different cuts that are on offer. They will explain how each meat is prepared and why you will prefer each cut of meat.
Meatplatter
 
My father went for the 7 week aged prime-rib (R365). I opted for the sirloin on the bone (R190) and my mother who adores pork chose the pork-chops. Each dish comes with one side. Sides to choose from are fried potatoes, mash potato, spinach, broccoli or house side salad.
Pork chop

Sirloin on the bone
 
Aged prime-rib
 
All our meats were very tender, succulent and juicy. They only use some salt, pepper and olive oil to cook the meat in. The flavours are simple but that allows you to appreciate the quality of meat you receive.

For the brave there is a Florentine steak that weighs 1,2kg. When I visit Carne again I will order the three fillet medallions served with salsa verde, mushroom and baarnaise sauce(R185).

More affordable dishes on the menu are the pan fried chicken breast filled with spinach served with slow cooked tomato sauce (R110) or free range dorper lamb shoulder stuffed with spinach, sultanas and pine nuts served on a bed of wilted spinach (R120).

Starters range from R45-R95. Feast on asparagus with a free range chicken egg (R70), summer melon and parma ham (R95) or carpaccio and poached tongue salad with salsa verde (R80).

We ended off our evening with their famous chocolate fondant. From my previous posts you would have realised that this is usually my favourite dessert. Carne’s was rich and dark and the centre was oozy and runny just as I like it. A great combination was my father’s Jack Daniels on the rocks and some of the chocolate fondant.  Other sweet treats to indulge on are baked cream, sorbet, ice cream or mixed berry salad with mascarpone sorbet.
 

Wine list features local and imported Italian wine. We enjoyed a viognier during our dinner but unfortunately I cant recall the particular cellar. It really was a great wine that complimented our food.

We really enjoyed the meal and the quality of the food was excellent but I can honestly say that I have had steaks at other places that I really enjoyed and that was more affordable.

I would recommend Carne’s as a special occasion restaurant and for meat lovers. Budget at least R300 per person.

Be sure to book in advance. The place is always fully-booked.

Contact them at 021 424 3460 or info@carne-sa.com
Website Carne

Open for dinner Monday to Sunday

Visit them at 70 Keerom, City Bowl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment