Monday, July 8, 2013

Obz Cafe




The only time I venture to the Observatory area is to visit my favourite Mexican restaurant Pancho's. Every time I do however go there, I notice the Obz Café. It look so cosy from the outside with the red and white checked table cloths and dark wood interior.

I then discovered that they have a pizza and pasta special on Thursday evenings and I no longer had an excuse not to visit them.

The night we visited, the place was packed with more tourists than locals. I love seeing this and I know why they visit. Great service, delicious food and a very cosy atmosphere. They only get rave reviews on Tripadvisor.

The host and our waiter were brilliant. Very attentive, welcoming and contributed to the relaxed atmosphere of the night.

There is a beautifully dark wooden bar at the entrance of the Café that contributes to some elegance in this relaxed café.

The pizzas we tried were
  • Spicy meatballs and pecorino ( Usually R74 but due to 1/2 price it was R37)
  • Mediterranean - Sundried tomatoes calmata olives, peppadews and feta (Usually R75 but we paid R36)
Only R37 for this pizza! Bargain!
The pizzas are served on cool wooden planks and are rectangular in shape. They reminded me of the pizzas at The Grand Beach cafe but they are just way more affordable and just as delicious. The Mediterranean was the clear winner between the two pizza. If you are a fan of thin based pizzas Obz Café will be enjoyed by you. I prefer a thicker base!

We enjoyed the Craighall's Cabernet sauvignon merlot which paired great with the pizza's. 



If you are not in the mood for pizza or pasta you can enjoy steak(R109), schnitzel(R80), lamb chop(R110) or prawn curry(R80).

Other specials
2 for 1 Burgers on Monday evenings ( Normal burger prices R55-R68).

Special or not I will return to Obz Café. They have established themselves as a great contender  for best restaurant in the Observatory area :)

Located at 115 Lower main road, Observatory, Cape Town
Visit them 7 days of the week 09:30 - 22:30
Contact them at 021 448 5555
For more information check out their website
Follow then on twitter @Obzcafe
Like them on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment